- The originalBritish Broadcasting company was founded in 1922 by a group of telecommunications companies&mdash animation.
- By 1925 the BBCcould be heard throughout the UK.
- The Company, with John Reith as general manager, became the British Broadcasting Corporation in 1927 when it was granted a Royal Charter of incorporation and ceased to be privately owned.
- Within a year the BBC had broadcast plays, concerts and popular and classical music, talks and a variety of fprogrammes.
- The powerful newspaper indusrty successfully kept the BBC out of the news buisness.
- Bulletins were prepared by the news agencies and could only be broadcast after 7pm.
- In 1932 the BBC moved into the worlds first purpose built radio production centre Broadcasting house in Portland place. ot quickly become a landmark and was described as 'a new tower of London'.